I=92ve been following the ECOLOG discussion on climate change "denial sc=
ience" with great interest.  Many of the climate change deniers have muc=
h in common with those who deny that there is a conflict between economi=
c growth and environmental protection.  For example, both camps of denie=
rs tend to be comprised of hirelings of, or were selected in a process s=
trongly influenced by, "big money" (i.e., pro-growth, typically corporat=
e and anti-regulatory entities).  =

 <?xml:namespace prefix =3D o ns =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:o=
ffice" />
This point would be too obvious to be worth mentioning, except that now =
we are seeing a fascinating denial dialog developing regarding the relat=
ionship of economic growth and climate change.  I noticed this at a clim=
ate change conference yesterday, where the old CIA Director Woolsey et a=
l., while fully concurring that climate change is upon us, and substanti=
ally human-induced, are not yet ready to concede that climate change and=
 other environmental threats are fundamental outcomes of economic growth=
.  =

 =

(While this is no place to elaborate, I have to at least note that, with=
 a >90% fossil-fueled economy, and ceteris paribus, economic growth simp=
ly =3D global warming.  And also that, with economic growth - increasing=
 production and consumption of goods and services in the aggregate - pri=
oritized in the domestic policy arena, dealing with climate change means=
 not conservation and frugality but rather wholesale onlining of nuclear=
, tar sands, mountaintop removing, etc., because, as Woolsey pointed out=
, renewables such as solar and wind won=92t come anywhere near the level=
s our currently fossil-fueled economy needs.)
 =

So perhaps we could view "denial science" as lying on a spectrum, where =
endpoints might be defined either in terms of hardness/softness of scien=
ce (e.g., physics hard, climate change science medium, ecological econom=
ics softish), or else in terms of political economy (e.g., from little t=
o big money at stake).  Denial would tend to be motivated pursuant to pr=
incipals of political economy, and gotten away with in proportion to the=
 softness (or alternatively, complexity) of the science.
 =

 =

Brian Czech, Visiting Assistant Professor =

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences
National Capital Region, Northern Virginia Center
7054 Haycock Road, Room 411
Falls Church, VA  22043 =

 =

Brian Czech, Ph.D., President
Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy
SIGN THE POSITION on economic growth at: www.steadystate.org/PositiononE=
G.html .
EMAIL RESPONSE PROBLEMS?  Use [EMAIL PROTECTED]