Lucas Moyer-Horner wrote:

> Anita, Below are two excellent case studies that are near
> and dear to my heart. As far as i know, this is the first
> evidence of a small-medium sized mammal being extirpated
> by rising temperatures.

> Beever, E.A., Brussard, P.F. and Berger, J. 2003. Patterns of
> apparent extirpation among isolated populations of pikas
> (Ochotona princeps) in the Great Basin.  Journal of Mammalogy
> 84(1):37-54

> Grayson, D.K. 2005. A brief history of Great Basin Pikas.
> Journal of biogeography 32:2103-2111.

Lucas, according to this article:
http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=15849

"In the early 1990s, E.A Beever revisited 25 Great Basin pika
populations recorded by Eugene Raymond Hall and others
about half a century earlier and found six of the 25 populations
had completely disappeared."

The 25 pika populations that were monitored were located
primarily within Nevada:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/pikaa.jpg

Now lets look at how much temperatures rose in Nevada
between 1920 and 1993 using National Climate Center Data
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/cag3/cag3.html

Here is the winter (Dec-Feb) temperature graph for Nevada
the period 1920-1993:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/pikab.jpg
A very slight warming trend is apparent

Here is the summer (June-August) temperature graph for
Nevada for the period 1920-1993:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/pikad.jpg
A slight cooling trend is apparent.

Here is the overall annual temperature graph for
Nevada for the period 1920-1993:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/pikac.jpg
A very slight cooling trend is apparent.

Lucas, I am now wondering why you and other scientists
think the Great Basin pika "is the first evidence of a
small-medium sized mammal being extirpated by rising
temperatures".

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.