For those who asked me offline:

"Peak Oil" refers to the time when total petroleum
production cannot increase any more.  A growing body
of evidence suggests that that time is about now.  We
may be in a plateau period that will be followed by a
persistent decline in global oil production.

There doesn't appear to be any combination of known
alternative energy sources that can compensate for a
declining petroleum supply, so our economic system
will be forced to change profoundly.  There will
likely be increased exploitation of wood, coal, and
peat for fuel.  More land will be pressed into
agriculture because mechanized ag systems will be
unable to get enough fuel, there will be more
conflicts over remaining energy resources, and there
could be a long-term human population reduction.  I'm
sure I'm just scratching the surface, but even just
with these changes, I'm sure any ecologist could
imagine a host of ecological consequences.

Joe