Kelly,

I respectively disagree.  Introduced species are bad, no ifs ands or
buts....  Some of them are naturalized and so there is probably absolutely
nothing we can do about them.  The others often have potential for causing
catastrophe, and it is hubris to think that we can just USE them to suit OU=
purposes (of what, fixing something that we already messed up?) with no
repercussions.

Also, your argument below is circular.  An ecosystem that is very diverse
has the exotics as part of the calculation of diversity, so less diverse
will have fewer species overall.  Also, healthy does not equal diverse -
else deserts and alpine systems are all unhealthy.  If you say that within
any biome, the most healthy are the most diverse, I bet you do not have the
data to support that stand.

Is leaching copper good?  What does "filter" toxics mean?  The take toxins
from the soil and do what with them?  And, what do they do in areas that
have no toxins when they escape cultivation?

Complicated issues, and I think the best answer is never introduce, plant
natives, eliminate exotics.

Cheers,

Jim

On Nov 19, 2007 4:54 PM, Kelly Stettner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=
:

--=20
James J. Roper, Ph.D.

Ecologia e Din=E2micas Populacionais