Dear Ecologgers,

With all do respect, I disagree with Andy's view that there is no separation
between environmental and ecological science. I'm frustrated cause,
unfortunately in my country, Turkey, Environmental science = environmental
engineering-agricultural engineering-forest engineering = Ecology! And they
seem liked to be so called "ecologist" and even believed they are. The
danger is they give lectures about ecology even they do not perform any
ecological research in their life. So, "When they are talking about
environmental science, generally they are not talking about aspects of
ecology" as he mentioned. With this defective situation you figure out the
students' perception of ecology as a science, not mentioning basic
principles of ecology. So here both sciences are misrepresented somehow. Of
course, we have rare 'silent' ecologists and emerging ones that they grown.
Still, ecology is minor science and few eminent universities hesitate to
give us a graduate degree on "the" ecology.

Nowadays, as being attempting to teach current ecological issues and their
interconnectedness with the social sciences for non-biology majors, I start
with the definition and separation of these sciences as emphasizing
interactions with each others and the others sciences as well.

Here two different definitions for "environmental science":

The  <http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/BRANCH> branch of
<http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/BIOLOGY> biology
<http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/CONCERNED> concerned with the
<http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/RELATIONS> relations between
<http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/ORGANISM> organisms and their
<http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/ENVIRONMENT> environment - syn:
<http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/ECOLOGY> ecology,
<http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/BIONOMICS> bionomics

The science which studies the interaction between man and the environment,
emphasizing the links between different subjects related to this issue,
including ecology <http://www.allwords.com/?SearchType=3&Keyword=ecology> ,
economics <http://www.allwords.com/?SearchType=3&Keyword=economics> ,
geography <http://www.allwords.com/?SearchType=3&Keyword=geography> ,
geology <http://www.allwords.com/?SearchType=3&Keyword=geology> ,
meteorology <http://www.allwords.com/?SearchType=3&Keyword=meteorology> ,
politics <http://www.allwords.com/?SearchType=3&Keyword=politics>  and
sociology <http://www.allwords.com/?SearchType=3&Keyword=sociology> .

After I saw the first definition, I found myself asking what the definition
Ecology then was!!! Second one seems quite fair to me.

I know that the definition of environmental sciences is broad, overlapping
the natural sciences, the social sciences, and engineering. But I really do
separate out environmental and ecological science:

Environmental science and Ecology are different fields of study, although
there is some overlap due to the multidisciplinary nature of environmental
science. Ecology is the study of the interrelations of living organisms and
their environment, whether at the population, community, or ecosystem level.
In contrast, environmental science is a broad area of study including
diverse areas such as atmospheric sciences, soil chemistry,
pollution-toxicology (water/air/soil quality), environmental
law/economics/politics and biological responses of systems to anthropogenic
influence.

I sum up this subject with the comment of few scientists from The American
Institute of Biological Sciences, (AIBS) ' Comments on Draft Taxonomy of
Life Sciences, 2003:

"Another issue we request the Committee reconsider is the association of
Ecology and Environmental Science. There is a common public misconception
that all ecological research is also environmental research. While there is
certainly a strong link between the two disciplines, they are unique.
Environmental science has historically been a discipline that includes
non-biological sciences and is focused on solving environmental problems. In
short, environmental science is largely an interdisciplinary applied
science. While ecology has also grown and benefited from increased
interdisciplinary collaboration, it is largely a basic science. While what
is learned from ecological research can and should inform environmental
science and policy, ecology is not by definition an environmental science as
environmental science is generally defined. We request the Committee
reconsider its linkage of Ecology with Environmental Science. Each
discipline is robust enough to warrant consideration as an independent
discipline with subfields."

I'll appreciate your thoughts.

Respectfully,

Yasemin Erguner Baytok, PhD candidate