Andy -- Interesting point.  My students in wildlife management are not
pleased with the way I teach the course because they think I spend too
much time reviewing or reteaching ecology.  However, I assume that ecology
is the backbone of wildlife management and other environmental sciences.
Some of my colleagues do not seem to understand the connection and wonder
why wildlife management and other such courses are taught in a biology
department.  Making a disconnect from the pure science (ecology) and the
applied science (environmental science)  or combining them into one is
clearly wrong.  Both are needed by many of our students.  Most of the
students will apply what they have learned.  To be a pure ecologist will
not be as easy being an applied ecologist because of the nature of the job
market.  But to forget or not learn the basis for what one is doing not
correct either.  We need the lines of communications between the two to
solve the problems that humans continue to have.  mas tarde, EJF

Andrew Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news"
<ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
11/23/2007 06:29 PM
Please respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Another picture

The statement that "most silviculture is little more than tree
farming" is wildly inaccurate in most places except the US southeast,
Chile, New Zealand, some parts of Europe and China, and latterly, pulp
plantations in southern Brazil.

In most of north America, forests are managed as semi-natural habitats
with minimal intervention after logging, or not managed at all.  Even
planted forests fairly rapidly develop species compositions and stand
structures that resemble naturally regenerated forests of similar age.
  There is also a very large literature on the subject of using
silviculture to create, maintain, or emulate habitat structures.

As for "tree farms", I suspect (though I can't prove) that most
intensively managed plantations are way more diverse than an
intensively managed cornfield.

But back to the central subject.  I get the feeling form the way this
thread has gone that people see Ecology as a "pure" science, while
"environmental science" is always applied.  If that is true (and I am
a bit skeptical about the rigidity of the division), should we be
teaching them as wholly separate subjects in wholly separate courses?

Andy