On the PocketPC/Windows Mobile side of the PDA world, we have been using
a database software called Visual CE on HP IPAQ units for the past few years.
Visual CE (www.syware.com/products/visual_ce.php) is a fully relational
database that can synchronize/export to Access or other databases.  By
'relational' I'm referring to the ability for you to be at a plot, then build
a list of species (and cover or counts or whatever) for that plot without
having to repeatedly enter plot-level characteristics (thus a one-many
relationship
for plot-species).

What I like the most about our system is the lookup/filtering capabilities. We
don't have to memorize species codes: after entering the generic name in
the genus field (such as Acer), the specific epithet field is limited only to
the
possibilities for that genus (such as saccharum, saccharinum, rubrum... etc).
We also have a field for notes or comments so if you don't know the scientific
name, you can type a few thoughts about it and try to look it up later. Heck,
you could even have a common names lookup if you wanted. With lookups
there are no misspellings.

In terms of speed, you get pretty good at pecking away with a stylus and the
onscreen keyboard so it goes quickly. But I will admit that it may take a
little bit longer in the field. This is made up by the tremendous time savings
back in the office.

Best,
Tim Howard

Timothy G. Howard, Ph.D.
Director of Science
New York Natural Heritage Program
625 Broadway, 5th floor
Albany, NY 12233-4757

(518) 402-8945
facsimile  (518) 402-8925
>>> Jennifer Brickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/19/07 10:53 AM >>>
Dear Susan Farrington,

I have used PDAs developed by Palm to collect vegetation data for several
projects (over 500 sites this year alone) and have had very few problems. We
have used SmartList in the past, which takes a little time to get accustomed
to and to also set it up so the data downloads are formatted correctly.  We
generally add a "Notes" text field at the bottom of each screen so that we
can write in whatever is needed.  Some people do have problems writing on
PDAs, but I've noticed misspellings tend to be due to carelessness (which
can be alleviated with 'data correctness' or 'fewest errors' contests) or
due to the enterer not knowing how to actually spell.  If your crews are
young enough, they will pick up on the PDAs very quickly.

>From SmartList, the files can be exported to Excel, Access, or left as
'text.'  You will still need someone to go through and double-check entries
at the office, but someone would need to double-check the entries from paper
sheets as well.  We've found that trying to record data simultaneously on
paper and in the PDA's only creates bigger messes as the crews tend to be
distracted by the multiple data forms.  Several researchers have used
DocumentsToGo instead of Smartlist because DocumentsToGo allows you to enter
directly into Excel or Word and also allows for complicated calculations
while in the field.

There are probably other programs designed for PDAs not made by Palm that
may perform better than the two I've mentioned, but these are the ones with
which I am familiar.  In general, we've been able to obtain PDA's for under
$200 but the newer ones tend to fail after one field season.  Oddly enough,
the older PDAs that have gone through 3-4 field seasons work far better than
the newer ones.  I assume this is due to poorer quality.

I hope this information along with other individuals' replies help!

Sincerely,

Jennifer Brickey
Botanist
Eastern Nevada Landscape Coalition