Please take a look at this web page and
 look-see the Gallery:

http://coral.jeffspiratescove.com/

This is a serious eutrophication situation that basically affects the
 entire coral reef platform from Talofofo Bay inlet to Ylig Bay inlet,
 whereas, it has been blamed primarily from the Baza Gardens wastewater
 treatment plant discharge into the Togcha River. (Forgive me for noting
 areas that you may not know their locations..but to make a point here)

Interjection here:  By the way, can anyone ID the blue-green alga in
 the photos please?

The volume reported to be discharged from the Baza WWTP after secondary
 treatment is an average of .6 mil g/day.  I have walked the river that
 receives the discharge and I am not convinced that it's Only the Baza
 WWTP the source of nutrients feeding the reef platform.  In fact, I
 feel the B-WWTP is a minor contributor if secondary treatment is correctly
 applied (removal of 50% Nitrate load; 30% Phosphate load).

The entire Talofofo region and Ipan area exists on top of a large
 limestone section of MARIANA LIMESTONE (Pliocene to Pleistocene), whereas,
 existing on this section there are 3 golf courses and a 4th in the
 planning stages, Windward Hile/Baza Gardens residential housing; Talofofo
 residential housing, and Ipan residential housing.   A quick assessment
 for the volume of freshwater utilized by this region is enormous when
 considering the golf courses a part of it.

Reference:

Hydrologic Resources of Guam
Prepared in cooperation with the
WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE (WERI)
UNIVERSITY OF GUAM
U.S. Department of the Interior
Gingerich–– Hydrologic Resources of Guam –– WRIR 03-4126
By Stephen B. Gingerich
U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 03-4126

Only a minor area uses the Baza WWTP and .6 mil g/d is minor when
 assessing the areas using old septic tanks (those without bottoms) and newer
 septic tanks with bottoms & leach field discharge.

A recent reef platform survey (with underwater photos) shows that the
 entire reef platform has substantial and thick growth of the blue-green
 alga in various locations where there are sandy bottoms and no exposed
 coral / limestone base rock....as well as gross overgrowth of the
 typical macro-alga (notably Caulerpa, Padina).  On two locations on this
 same reef platform, my partner and I could actually smell 'sewer water' in
 areas of the cooler freshwater discharging up from the reef platform.

My point in all this?

Septic tank discharge water in limestone regions do not filter or treat
 the high nutrient water.  In fact, the same water will quickly flow
 through the limestone until it may reach a less permeable layer (volcanic
 rock) and continue to flow downhill via gravity and discharge at a
 much lower altitude ( beach side or even out on the reef platform itself.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  References to any studies
 and Papers available would also be appreciated.

The first step is to ID the sources. The second step is to suggest
 remedial solutions - no matter how much the cost may be.

I would initially suggest that all new septic tanks be banned in the
 region and a new waste water treatment plant be installed to accommodate
 all residential housing to connect too at minimum cost or no cost to
 existing residence housing. The golf courses?  Well......again.....can
 anyone suggest eco-friendly guidelines for golf course irrigation and the
 efficient & proper use of fertilizers?

The trade off with doing nothing?   The death and "Alga-fication" of
 the shallow coastal limestone platform...no longer calling it a 'coral'
 platform. And No fish to catch as fish do not eat the blue-green algae.

Don Baker
Guam USA

Alternate Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Dedication and motivated direction in achieving specific goals related to the
care and protection of living things is not necessarily a guaranteed formula
for success.  Success is, more often than not, a direct result of a person’s
passion in addition to the above formula." [Don Baker, Marine
Conservationist/Activist, 1998]