Hello,

My name is Justin Cumming, I am an Industrial Design Student at the Cleveland
Institute of Art. I
am looking for insight on my senior thesis project. It is focused on the design
and development of
a new Live-Trap for medium sized animals (Skunks, Raccoons, Feral cats, exc.)

Project Background: This project to assess and redesign the cage-style live
trapping device for
medium size vertebrate animals.

The trap will be for commercial and civilian use with the focus being on
wildlife management and
research applications. (including feral cat management and TNR programs).

I am benchmarking the Tomahawk and Havahart traps as general baseline for the
research phase
due to there popularity amongst professionals.

Some of the goals for the redesign will include:

+ User (trapper & civilian) interaction and operation of the trap
(transport>setup>retrieval>maintenance).

+ Improve post capture treatment of animals. Transportation, transfer from
cage, treatment
(vaccination, exc) well in cage.

+ Methods of containment to ensure a humane capture with minimal harm inflicted
upon the
animal.

+ Exploration of new materials that would improve manufacture, function, reduce
weight, lower
cost, help with containment.

+ Establish a basic understanding of animal behavior and conditioning with the
intention of
applying it to the improved design.

Questions are as follows: (questions are directed toward individuals who have
used such devices
but please give any relevant notes from experience.)

How many traps do you set and monitor well working?

How often do you check them and what would be the longest time you would let
one sit
unattended?

How do you transport, store, maintain the traps?

How long do the traps last, did they ever break or malfunction?

Once an animal is captured how do you transport the animal (in trap, transfer
to alternate cage)?

With your experience what do you find most difficult about the trapping process?

Of the cages you have used what features do you like and dislike, do you have
brand a preference?

If there was one thing that would make your job easier what would it be?

Any comments on project goals, ideas, exc. would be great.

Please foreword this email to any individuals who would be willing to offer
insight and answer
some of my questions.

Thank you for your time.

Feel free to contact me via email or telephone

My phone number is 978.766.8092

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sincerely,

Justin Cumming

P.S. If you are familiar with any other organizations or research in area of
design and development
of new trapping systems I would greatly appreciate their contact info for
further research.