I offer a less straightforwardly northern perspective, as a Canadian living on the south shore of Lake Superior.

I think it's misleading to suggest that the Canadian Conservative government is blocking progress towards a "real response to climate change". In the election just one month ago it was the Liberal opposition that ran on a platform with as it's centerpiece a "Green Shift" that emphasized carbon taxes to incentivize emission reductions. This emphasis was so compelling that Canadian voters chose to return only 77 of 95 Liberals to the House of Commons, a loss of 25% in representation. And this is after the Green Party encouraged (not too quietly) strategic voting for the Liberals to block Tory seats. The voters have spoken, and they chose the Conservative party platform over the Liberal-Green party.

But moreover, it's misleading to think that Obama's election is the hope that Canadians need to help forge new leadership on the climate change front. The CBC reported today that the Harper government and president-elect Obama actually have the same plan. Both have stated the same goal: to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020. Both apparently favour cap-and-trade as the mechanism.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/11/05/canada-us-environment.html

Canadians endorsed the plan from the Harper Conservatives last month. Does this imply the US is now going to be keeping up to progress in the north?

Cheers,

        ...Robert