I"m optimistic too, maybe support for ecological research and restoration may increase; however I"m also aware that the reality of reducing the national carbon footprint is a huge challenge, essentially requiring a reduction in per-capita energy (and resource) use. One of the ways to do so in an average American city (NYC, Boston and Chicago excepted) is to invest in mass transit, so that it becomes a practical option. But given the collosal national debt, with certain lobbies opposed to pulling out of the various wars etc, where is the money going to come from for this ? The public should not just look to Obama, they have to look at themselves first, to see how and where they can reduce resource use.
Cheers
Amartya

Alison Munson wrote:
>From a cooler northern perspective: Many of us were as glued to the screen as Americans last evening.
I am just RELIEVED that the Bush years are almost behind (can you
minimize the rest of the damage he is trying to do before leaving?)

I believe it will be easier to advance real response to climate change
in the next years, world-wide. I don't underestimate the importance of
the US agenda to Canadian policies; we will have to keep up to any
progress to the south, even though our conservative government has been
trying to block progress on an international level. I am not sure this
will be possible without the moral support that was present from the
Bush administration.

I am elated. Maybe this was driven by personal economic reasons in some
large part (among other good reasons), but honestly, today I don't care.

All the best for the next years with Barak. We are watching with
fascination. Alison