I imagine there is also data on the negative relationship between the growth
rates of plants/trees vs. longevity.

Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news [mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Francisco de Castro
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:11 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Data on lifespan vs. body size for plants?

Dear ECOLOGers,
I wonder if someone could direct me to studies/webs/data on lifespan of
plants, or rates of natural mortality (meaning excluding herbivory) as
related to individual mass/size. More specifically: how long a plant
will live (if is not eaten by an herbivore) given its size. I have
searched the ISIWoK extensively and found some papers for trees
(specially large trees) relating longevity to size at time of death, but
nothing for small plants. I already have Marbá et al. 2007, PNAS
104(40), but in their estimates of lifespan, herbivory is included in
mortality rates.
Thanks to all,

Francisco de Castro
Ecology and Ecosystem Modelling. Univ. of Potsdam