Francisco de Castro asks:

> I wonder if someone could direct me to studies/webs/data on lifespan of
>  plants, or rates of natural mortality (meaning excluding herbivory) as
>  related to individual mass/size. More specifically: how long a plant
>  will live (if is not eaten by an herbivore) given its size. I have
>  searched the ISIWoK extensively and found some papers for trees
>  (specially large trees) relating longevity to size at time of death, but
>  nothing for small plants. I already have Marbá et al. 2007, PNAS
>  104(40), but in their estimates of lifespan, herbivory is included in
>  mortality rates.

The correlation between size and longevity that was often talked about does
not seem to hold as much water as it used to. The now-believed-to-be oldest
plant in the world is only a bush, a vegetative creosote ring in the Mojave
Desert, California:

http://www.ourwindowonnature.com/2007/05/06/the-oldest-living-tree-is-a-bush/

The plant is estimated to be 11,700 years old, twice the age of its nearest
competitor, a bristlecone pine, which is also a small tree.

Vasek FC. 1980 Creosote Bush: long+lived clones in the Mojave desert. Amer.
J. Bot. 67. 246-55. Larrea tridentata. Growth rates. Oldest clones may be c.
11,700 years. Growth, Zygophyllaceae

Wirt Atmar