I would recommend you try Populus, developed by Don Alstad at the University of
Minnesota. I used it as an undergraduate myself, and have used it teaching
undergraduates. It is very user-friendly, and free.

http://cbs.umn.edu/populus/index.html

Leslie Brandt
PhD. Candidate
University of Minnesota

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:54:31 -0600
> From: aty...@unlnotes.unl.edu
> Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Freeware for undergrad ecology course?
> To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
>
> Hi Jacqueline,
>
> The software R that was mentioned is very powerful, but I would hesitate
> to use it for undergraduates. For the type of exercise you describe I have
> used a combination of Microsoft Excel coupled with the PopTools add-on by
> Greg Hood:
>
> http://www.cse.csiro.au/poptools/
>
> It does all the life table to projection model conversions you could ask
> for. It works with Excel 2007 as well.
>
> good luck,
>
> Drew Tyre
>
> School of Natural Resources
> University of Nebraska-Lincoln
> 416 Hardin Hall, East Campus
> 3310 Holdrege Street
> Lincoln, NE 68583-0974
>
> phone: +1 402 472 4054
> fax: +1 402 472 2946
> email: aty...@unl.edu
> http://snr.unl.edu/tyre
>

> "Schlosser Jacqueline (seal)" <s...@zhaw.ch>
> Sent by: "Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news"
> <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
> 02/05/2009 11:17 AM
> Please respond to
> "Schlosser Jacqueline (seal)" <s...@zhaw.ch>

> ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
> cc
>
> Subject
> [ECOLOG-L] Freeware for undergrad ecology course?
>

> Dear Ecologger
>
> I'm looking for a free and easy to use software to use in my ecology
> course. For one lab exercice, my students have to fill in cohort tables
> (survivorship, mortality, fecundity etc.) to draw different survivorship
> curves. To make this exercice more interesting and applied, I'd like to
> find a program that would allow the students to enter this data and get a
> graph back, that shows them the popultation increas/decrease over the next
> 100-200 years. With this program they could play with the data and see
> what implications different management decisions (ie protecting early life
> stage vs. late life stages) would have for this population.
>
> Does anyone know of such a free/shareware? I appreciate your help.
> Sincerely,
>
> Jacqueline Schlosser, Ph.D.
> ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences
> Institut of Natural Resource Sciences
> Gruental, Postfach 335
> CH-8820 Wadenswil
>

> Telefon +41 (0)58 934 5792
> Fax +41 (0)58 934 5853
>
> www.cascadesystems.ch
> www.unr.ch
> www.lsfm.zhaw.ch

Windows Liveā„¢: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_022009