NIMBioS Investigative Workshop: New Soil Black Box Math Strategies

The National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS) is now accepting applications for the NIMBioS sponsored Investigative Workshop: New Soil Black Box Math Strategies, to be held October 15 - 17, 2009 at NIMBioS.

*Topic: New Strategies for the Black Box: Identifying mathematical tools for elucidating plant-soil interactions

*Organizers: Alison E. Bennett, Department of Entomology, University of Wisconsin; James Umbanhower, Department of Biology, University of North Carolina

*Location:  NIMBioS at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville

*Objectives: Soil-plant interactions structure life as we know it. Research has demonstrated that individual plant communities, species and even individual genotypes can cultivate distinct soil communities of decomposers, mutualists, and pathogens. Various components of the plant-soil interaction have been explored, but few of these explorations have been integrated across ecological scales or included more than one component of the soil community. Similarly, individual theoretical approaches have focused on select groups (eg. mutualists, decomposers, and pathogens) while excluding many soil organisms (eg. soil fauna). In addition these theoretical approaches have rarely examined these groups at the same organizational scale making it difficult to develop a comprehensive picture of plant-soil interactions. By extending our models to explore all levels of organization, we can take steps to building a comprehensive picture of plant-soil interactions that can then inform basic science as well as applied science including restoration, conservation, and global change. During the Investigative Workshop, participants will have the opportunity to identify the theoretical frameworks for expanding our knowledge and driving the future of plant-soil interactions.

--
Catherine Crawley, Ph.D.
Communications Coordinator