1. Yes, it's legal
2. People understand about temporary Internet files
3. No, copyright infringement is a civil matter, not a criminal one. Practice due diligence, and if you later find you made a mistake, you made a mistake -- it's not for lack of effort. It's silly to lose too much sleep over this.

Dave

Tom Mosca III wrote:
Hello Folks, The discussion that followed my question about using a photograph in a presentation motivates more questions. 1. Is it legal to surf the WWW during the teaching of a class or the presentation of a paper? Can I legally direct the attention of my audience to the work of another, via a web site authorized by the holder of the copyright? 2. My web browser creates temporary Internet files each time I visit a web site. As this is copying copyrighted material, is it legal to surf the WWW at all? 3. Suppose I see an image that I would like to use in a presentation, and ask the person who operates the web site for permission to use the image. What is my liability if that person had copied the image without permission? Would that be comparable to the receiving of stolen property (a crime even without knowledge that the property was stolen)? Thanks. Take care, Tom

 David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
 7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
 Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: d...@fuzzo.com
 USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
 4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan