If you have specific statistics you want to run in mind (or even just want to redo some old analyses in R in order to make sure you understand what you are doing) I wrote up the following quick and dirty guide while I was teaching myself R. A few other folk have found it useful when they had a specific "I want to do X" kind of question. And if you have any questions/comments about it, I'd be happy to chat off list.

http://homes.msi.ucsb.edu/~byrnes/rtutorial.html

-Jarrett

Jarrett Byrnes
Postdoctoral Associate, Santa Barbara Coastal LTER
Marine Science Institute
University of California Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6150
http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/eemb/labs/cardinale/people/byrnes/index.html