A few quick things to add to this thread.

I have found two R packages particularly helpful for multivariate analysis of
ecological data. For others see the CRAN Task View: Multivariate Statistics at:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Multivariate.html

Vegan is great! It is very well maintained has very good documentation and some
nice tutorials (called Vignettes in R speak), They can be found at:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/vegan/index.html

I have found the 'Introduction to ordination in vegan' particularly helpful.

I also like the labdsv package for classification methods.
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/labdsv/index.html

Some labs using this package can be found here:
http://ecology.msu.montana.edu/labdsv/R/

Good luck,
Michael

Michael Denslow

Graduate Student
I.W. Carpenter Jr. Herbarium [BOON]
Department of Biology
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina U.S.A.

-- AND --

Communications Manager
Southeast Regional Network of Expertise and Collections
sernec.org