To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:39 PM
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Shannon-Wiener Div Index Question - dealing with zero species per plot??

I have a question about utility of the Shannon-Wiener diversity index in
regards to sampling units that have no species in them at a given sampling
time. Normally this would get a value of zero, however with Shannon-Wiener a
sampling unit that has only one individual of one species would also earn
the value of zero when input into the formula -&#8721;(1*ln1) = -&amp;#8721;(1*0) = 0;
therefore there becomes an issue of two different species scenarios having
the same values (0 for no species individuals and 0 for 1 ind of one species).