If you are trying to synthesize results from different communities, then having some undefined really messes things up. Better to have a poor definition than run to "undefined". An alternative is to weight the measure by the number of species so that with zero species you have a real zero.

It sounds to me like UA or US (which is it?) may have too many philosophers on staff!

Bill Silvert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Lamb" <el...@ualberta.ca>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Shannon-Wiener Div Index Question - dealing with zero species per plot??

The consensus seems to be that diversity should be zero, but we should
consider the larger question before the mechanics of calculating a
particular index.

I recently had to deal with a similar question: what is the evenness of a
community with zero species?. The consensus among those I discussed this
issue with was that evenness (and hence diversity) should be undefined when there are no species. The reason is that diversity or evenness is a property of a community, not a patch of ground or a pot. If there are no species then
there is no community, and thus we cannot define evenness.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric Lamb
Assistant Professor, Plant Ecology and Biostatistics

4D68 Agriculture Building
306-966-1799
eric.l...@usask.ca