*Grassland Community and Ecosystem Ecology*

We are seeking a postdoctoral research associate to join an ongoing study of
the effects of invasion by endophyte infected grasses on the community and
ecosystem dynamics of grasslands. In a large scale field experiment, we are
tracking the ecological impacts of 31 different cultivars of three grass
species (perennial ryegrass, tall fescue and meadow fescue) on native
grasslands. Experimental plots have been invaded with grass cultivars that
are either endophyte-free, endophyte-infected, or in some cases infected by
‘novel endophytes’. The successful candidate will assess how the
experimental treatments affect community composition and ecosystem
functioning, and have the opportunity to develop collaborative research
using the established study site or to address other novel questions related
to grass-endophyte interactions. In addition to participating in and
supervising data collection, the incumbent will also be responsible for data
analysis and manuscript preparation. Applicants must have (or be close to
finishing) a Ph.D. in community or ecosystem ecology, grassland ecology,
plant biology or related field, as well as experience publishing manuscripts
in peer-reviewed journals. Experience with plant identification, vegetation
analysis, and studying community dynamics and biogeochemical processes is
desirable. Salary is commensurate with experience. This position is for two
years with the possibility of renewal. The preferred start date is January
2010, but is negotiable. To apply, please send a cover letter explaining
your interest in and match for the position, a CV, and the names and contact
information for three referees to Jonathan Newman (jnewm...@uoguelph.ca),
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, N1G 2W1,
Ontario, Canada or Hafiz Maherali (maher...@uoguelph.ca), Department of
Integrative Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1, Canada.
Please feel free to email either one of us at the above addresses if you
have questions about the position. Review of applications will begin
September 15th, 2009 and continue until the position is filled.

One of us (Hafiz Maherali) will be at the upcoming ESA meetings in
Albuquerque.  I am happy to meet with interested candidates to discuss the
position.  Please contact me via email to set up a meeting time.

--------
Hafiz Maherali