William Silvert wrote:

> a stable population with a better quality of life does not
> necessarily mean more resources are needed.

> some places have achieved high levels of economic
> growth without comparable resource consumption
> by taking advantage of good education and financial innovation,
> notably Hong Kong and Singapore.

Bill, could you elaborate more specifically about what you
mean by a "better quality of life"?

In Hong Kong the average size of a home is 450 square feet
(2500 square feet was the average size of a new home in
the USA in 2007 and 984 square feet was the average size
in 1950). So climbing into one's bed from the doorway is a
common occurrence for Hong Kongers.
http://www.tuition.com.hk/hong_kong.htm

And in 1999, there were only 59 cars per 1000 people
in Hong Kong (vs 474 per 1000 in the USA)
http://tinyurl.com/np36aa

Likewise in Singapore 90 percent of the population lives in
high-rise public housing and there are only 101 cars per
1000 people: http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=1908

Both Hong Kong and Singapore have little arable land and few
natural resources, so they must import most of their food plus
raw materials such as wood and petroleum.   So it appears to
me the underlying reasons why the people of Hong Kong and
Singapore are achieving high levels of economic growth
without comparable resource consumption is because they:

a) don't have to consume land to grow food crops

b) don't have to consume forests to obtain their building materials
and paper products

c) don't have to drill for oil or natural gas to obtain
the petroleum the country uses to manufacture the
products they export (e.g. electronics).

d) are willing to live in extremely small homes and forsake the
routine use of automobiles.

What bothers me about the push for a steady state economy
is that it's advocates claim no major lifestyle changes need to
be made. So all it really appears to accomplish is to slightly
slow down the the ongoing unsustainable rate of depletion
of land, air and water resources. Worse, I feel it distracts the
public in the USA, Canada, etc., from have to face the reality
that serious sacrifices (in terms of home size, auto size and
use, family size, etc.,) such as those the people of Hong Kong
and Singapore are already making would be necessary to
even start to come close to achieving a sustainable resource
consumption rate.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.