To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] What's wrong with growth, (was: ESA position on sustainable growth)

I think your first major point is well taken, though.  What is a "better
quality of life"?  I would definitely want more than 450 sq ft of living
space, and I did not consider my quality of life to be high the last time I
had so little space.  And while I try to drive as little as I can, I'm
happier to have the option and to have relatively uncongested roads between
me and the grocery store, my relatives, my friends, and so on.

Your second major point is also important. We can't have an economy that's
sustainable in the very long term without giving up a lot of what we take
for granted, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise. I don't know just how much we'll have to give up. Positive population growth, certainly, a lot of our
cars, and probably the conventional giant beige house on the 5-acre
"ranchette" twenty miles away from work, but what if my ideal of a little
bungalow on a fifth of an acre a short bus-ride from work is still too much,
even if I "green" up the house and yard in every way imaginable?  I just
don't think you could convince me to give that up and live like your average resident of Hong Kong.