Hi,

The book "1491" by Charles C. Mann is an excellent reference on this
question.  In my opinion, humans are an integral part of nature, especially
within my field of interest, restoration ecology.  One classic example of
the importance of humans is anthropogenic fire.  According to Stephen Pyne,
historically only about 10% of the fires in North America were ignited by
lightning (N.B. this estimate varies regionally).  Without human-induced
fire, the forests of the East and the grasslands and savannas of the
Midwest's Prairie Peninsula would have been very different ecosystems.
Consideration of the historic relationships between humans and their
environment is an important part of the process of setting restoration
goals.  However, I think there may be an interesting argument about making a
distinction between pre- and post-fossil fuel empowered humans, and whether
modern humans are less a part of nature as a consequence of tapping into
this ancient energy resource.  Such are my thoughts this morning.

-Ryan

--
Ryan Klopf
Doctoral Student