Kelly,

I think Bruce says it well.  The speed and scale of human-aided
long-distance dispersal of organisms is certainly way beyond what our
current species and ecosystems have evolved with, and almost certainly
unprecedented in earth's history.  Ducks have never introduced organisms as
frequently and from as far away as fisherman do now.  We are, by far, the
dominant force introducing species to distant ecosystems.  To a very good
approximation, we ARE the only means organisms have of relocating, when
you're talking about relocating far enough away from their home ranges
become invasive.  And, yes, organisms and ecosystems adapt to environmental
change, but the occurrence of mass extinctions in the past shows us that
this capacity to adapt has its limits.  You can dodge a bullet if someone
throws it at you, but not if they fire it at you.

Philosophically, if we're going to ask why we should care about this flood
of invasive species, we might as well ask why we should care about anything
humans do to the environment.  If someone wants to clearcut all of Canada to
stage the biggest Burning Man event ever, and we get upset about it, are we
focusing on negative effects because they impact things we humans value?
Yes, we are.  Inherently, if we care about anything, it must be something we
humans value.  What's wrong with that?  Isn't preserving what we think is
good and destroying what we think is bad the basis of all human morality,
really?

Jim Crants

--
James Crants, PhD