To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Biological control of invasive species by import of alien species Re: [APWG] NEWS: Invasive Saltcedar Triggers Lively Debate

ECOLOGgers all;

I continue to be fascinated by the theory of invasion biology. Why is it "bad" when a fly fisherman spreads a microscopic cell of algae to a new water body, but it's apparently "okay" if a migrating duck spreads it? Why are we so focused on the human impact of species introductions, as though we are the only means organisms have of relocating? I honestly want to talk about this. I think that people's individual perspectives are what drives debates such as this. Some people believe that human activity is bad, no matter what; yet this seems to be short-sighted and narrow-minded. There seem to be lots of vectors for species movement, from storms to migrating creatures.

Also, species adapt and change ~ a population of soapberry bugs, for instance, adapted its mouthparts over the course of about 40 years to begin eating the leaves on an introduced goldenrain tree in Florida. Who is to say that an introduced species won't develop into an important food source for another species that either it adapts to or that adapts to it?

Taken on a case-by-case basis, are there benefits to the invasive species in question? Are we focusing on negative effects (or, worse, on PRESUMED negative effects) because they impact things we humans value?

I get excited by invasion biology theory, because, for me, it raises more questions than it answers, and many of the questions are about perspective and values, in addition to those about biological interactions. There is still so much to observe about invasion biology theory, so much yet to learn!

Respectfully,
Kelly Stettner