from the college pool Jane Shevtsov wrote:

> I don't think this would be a very strong influence. Bright students
> with little money get financial aid, sometimes to the point of a free
> ride. It may be harder for middle-class students than for those who
> are poor, but still, schools compete to get the really good students.

Schools compete for students with good grades, extracurricular
accomplishments, and high exam scores.  They do not compete directly for
bright students.

Students with low socioeconomic status (SES) do not get in (or stay in)
four-year colleges and universities at the same rates as those with
higher SES.  On one hand there's bright. On the other hand there is
well-prepared, well-tutored, and/or culturally adapted to the academic
and bureaucratic environment of academia.  The second set is less
accessible to poor and middle class students.  It certainly helps to be
either, but being both works nicely.

A central source for data on the topic:
http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/SurveyGroups.asp?group=2

Best,