Extinction Debt and Ecosystem Change: We seek a post-doctoral research
associate, for a three-year position, in the Department of Ecology and
Evolutionary Biology, Brown University for participation in a collaborative
project between Dov Sax (Brown University) and Steve Jackson (University of
Wyoming). This project will investigate the dynamics of species extinction at
local scales, paying particular attention to lag times in species extinction,
extinction debt and predictability of extinction across taxa. The project will
be conducted in wetland ecosystems of the Indiana Dunes. The primary method of
investigation will be analysis of plant macrofossils and pollen in sediment
cores, but the project will also include a resurvey of extant vegetation, and a
taphonomic examination of plant macrofossil and pollen deposition. The project
has key defined goals, but there is substantial room for independent and
collaborative exploration of related topics in community ecology, paleoec!
 ology, and conservation biology. Candidates should have a Ph.D. with research
experience in either ecology or paleoecology; botanical experience is desirable
but not mandatory. The project will require extensive field work in the summer
and some travel to the University of Wyoming. Starting salary will be $40,000
with full benefits. Please send a CV, a brief statement of research interests,
and the names and contact information for three references to Dov Sax,
dov....@gmail.com. Review of applicants will begin on March 1 and will continue
until the post is filled. We would like the postdoc to begin the position on or
before May 15, 2010.

PDF of paper in press on Extinction Debt by Jackson and Sax:

http://www.brown.edu/Research/Sax_Research_Lab/Documents/PDFs/Jackson_&_Sax_TREE_in_press.pdf

Project summary of the grant proposal that is funding the postdoctoral position:

The time-course and dynamics of species extinctions at local spatial scales are
poorly understood relative to the intrinsic interest of this topic. The reason
for this disparity is simple – there are relatively few data sets available
that reveal patterns of species extinction at local spatial scales over
time-courses of decades to centuries. “Long-term” ecological data typically
span periods of 20-40 years. While such data sets are invaluable, extinction
dynamics may require longer runs of time to play out. Here we propose to remedy
this shortcoming by adapting paleoecological techniques to address contemporary
extinction dynamics in pond communities. We will conduct a detailed study of
extinction dynamics following major human-induced disturbances of the mid-late
19th Century by examining plant macrofossils and pollen in well-dated sediment
cores. Plant macrofossils (seeds, fruits, and vegetative material) are produced
by most aquatic and wetland species, do not travel far!
  from source plants, and can be identified to species. Thus, they can provide
detailed records of changes in local populations, including invasion and
extinction.

            Our study will concentrate on the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore,
where numerous well-studied ponds are available. Previous plant-macrofossil
work conducted at this site has shown good preservation of plant fossils over
the past several thousand years. This work also shows that many abundant
species underwent local extinction following onset of human disturbance
approximately 150 years ago. By collecting more than 100 sediment cores across
a landscape of ponds, we will be able to study the fine-scale dynamics of
species extinctions over the past 300 years. Because of the high sedimentation
rates at the study sites, we will be able to resolve changes in relative
abundance and composition of these species in approximately 15-year increments
from 300-150 years ago and in 5-year increments from 150 years ago to the
present (when sedimentation rates were higher). We will complement the
macrofossil findings with more ‘traditional’ long-term data, by conducting a
28-y!
 ear resurvey of the vegetation in these ponds. We will also advance the study
of taphonomy by relating extant vegetation to the deposition of plant pollen,
seeds and fruits.