Dear ECOLOGers,

Thanks to you incredible collaboration, I received over 50 emails of suggestions for books on scientific writing. I thought everyone could benefit from this, so here is a compilation of what I got:

TOP-5 MOST RECOMMENDED:

"How to Write & Publish a Scientific Paper" by Robert Day

6th edition (2006)

Publisher: Greenwood

ISBN: 0313330409

"The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White

4th edition (1999)

Publisher: Longman

ISBN: 020530902X

"Writing Paper in the Biological Sciences" by Victoria McMillan

4th edition (2006)

Publisher: Bedford/St. Martin’s

ISBN: 0312440839

"The Craft of Scientific Writing" by Michael Alley

3rd edition (1996)

Publisher: Springer

ISBN: 0387947663

"They say / I say: the moves that matter in academic writing" by Graff and Birkenstein

2nd edition (2009)

Publisher: W.W. Norton & Company

ISBN: 039393361X

OTHER BOOKS RECOMMENDED (IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER):

"A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations; Chicago Style (Students and Researchers)" by Kate Turabian

7th edition (2007)

Publisher: University of Chicago press

ISBN: 0226823377

"A rulebook for arguments " by Anthony Weston

4th edition (2008)

Publisher: Hackett Pub Co

ISBN: 0872209547

"A Short Guide to Writing About Biology" by Jan Pechenik

7th edition (2009)

Publisher: Longman

ISBN: 0205667279

"A Student Handbook for Writing in Biology" by Karin Knisely

3rd edition (2009)

Publisher: W.H. Freeman

ISBN: 1429234911

"Advice to a young scientist" by P.B. Medawar

1 edition (1981)

Publisher: Basic books

ISBN: 0465000924

"Communicating Science Effectively: A practical handbook for integrating visual elements" by Thomas et al.

1 edition (2006)

Publisher: IWA publishing

ISBN: 1843391252

"Doing Science: Design, Analysis, and Communication of Scientific Research " by Ivan Valiela

2nd edition (2009)

Publisher: Oxford University Press

ISBN: 019538573X

"How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing" by Paul Silvia

1 edition (2007)

Publisher: American psychological association (APA)

ISBN: 1591477433

"How to write and illustrate a scientific paper, 2nd edition" by Bjorn Gustavii

2nd edition (2008)

Publisher: Cambridge University Press

ISBN: 052170393X

"On writing Well; The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction" by William Zinsser

30th anniversary edition (2006)

Publisher: Harper paperbacks

ISBN: 0060891548

"Practical Skills in Biology" by Jones, Reed and Weyers

4th edition (2007)

Publisher: Prentice Hall

ISBN: 0131755099

"Scientific English: A Guide for Scientists and other Professionals" by Robert Day

2nd edition (1995)

Publisher: Oryx press

ISBN: 0897749898

"Scientific Papers and Presentations" by Martha Davis

2nd edition (2004)

Publisher: Academic Press

ISBN: 0120884240

“Scientific Style and Format - The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers” by the Council of Science Editors

7th edition (2006)

Publisher: CSE

ISBN: 097796650X

"Style - towards clarity and grace" by Joseph Williams

1 edition (1995)

Publisher: University of Chicago Press

ISBN: 0226899152

"Successful Scientific Writing; A step-by-step guide for the biological and medical sciences " By Matthews and Matthews

3rd Edition (2007)

Publisher: Cambridge University Press

ISBN: 0521699274

"The Elements of Teaching Writing: A Resource for Instructors in All Disciplines" by Gottschalk and Hjortshoj

1 edition (2003)

Publisher: Bedford/St. Martin’s

ISBN: 0312406835

"Writing for Science" by Robert Goldbort

1 edition

Publisher: Yale University Press

ISBN: 0300117930

"Writing in the Sciences, Exploring conventions of scientific discourse" by Penrose and Katz

3rd edition (2009)

Publisher: Longman

ISBN: 0205616712

"Writing Scientific Research Article: Strategy and Steps" by Cargill and O'Connor

1 edition (2009)

Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell

ISBN: 1405193352

"Writing Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day: A Guide to Starting, Revising, and Finishing Your Doctoral Thesis " by Joan Bolker

1 edition (1998)

Publisher: Holt Paperbacks

ISBN: 080504891X

JOURNAL ARTICLES:

Sand-Jensen, K. 2007. How to write consistently boring scientific literature. Oikos. 116:723-727

WEBSITES:

http://classweb.gmu.edu/WAC/Biology/

http://ncep.amnh.org

Module on "Scientific Writing" that includes syntheses document on scientific writing, a tutorial on conducing a literature search and an exercise on researching scientific papers.

http://grad.berkeley.edu/acapro/pdf/scientific_writing.pdf

http://grad.uwo.ca/360/onlineResources.cfm?resource=writing

Voilà, thanks again!

Lyne Morissette, Ph.D.
Ecosystems & Marine mammals
Institut des Sciences de la Mer de Rimouski (UQAR-ISMER)