I agree that the Mitchell chapter in the Scheiner and Gurevitch book is good
(also see his paper in Functional Ecology 6:123-129). Ullman is another good
author, with a number of Structural Equation Model chapters in several
different books (usually stats books for psychology - like Tabachnick and
Fidell's Using Multivariate Statistics). However, I don't think you can do
justice to the strength, intricacies, and pitfalls of path analysis in a short
format. Why not encourage the student to really delve into the topic? I would
recommend Shipley's book (Cause and Correlation in Biology - one of my favorite
books and a quick read) along with Grace's book (Structural Equation Modeling
and Natural Systems - also a good read and a nice compliment to the Shipley
book) as starters and use these as springboards to doing analyses and getting
into the rich literature on the topic.

Lee Dyer
Biology Dept. 0314
UNR 1664 N Virginia St