I'm curious to know what the current attitude towards path analysis is among ecologists. I used it in a couple of papers back in the 1970s and it provoked storms of outrage. One well-known statistician even called my department head to demand that I be fired. At the time it seemed that the only fields where it was generally accepted were in the social sciences. Since the only replies I have seen to this post are polite recommendations of other texts, I assume that this has changed.

Bil Silvert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gretel Clarke" <gretelcla...@gmail.com>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: terça-feira, 30 de Março de 2010 16:11
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] chapters/texts on path analysis

Hi list,

I am wondering if any of you know of a fairly comprehensive, but not too
lengthy statistical explanation of path analysis. I have been reading CC
Li's "Path Analysis- a primer", which I understand is the standard reference
on the subject but am finding it long. It seems like the subject could be
handled fairly thoroughly in more concise and yet still comprehensible way,
and I am wondering if such a treatment exists. If not just for myself, I
also need to find something to recommend to a (quantitatively minded)
undergraduate on the subject, and she certainly will not have time to read
the Li book.