For a very long time I've thought, as Bill mentioned in an early post in this
thread, that we need to focus on ecosystems, communities, whatever term works
best for communicating with the public.  And, as Bill said the emphasis needs
to be on ecosystem services, emphasizing value to humans.  If we just keep
saying look at the beautiful prairie, and we're loosing it, we'll get no
further than we have with emphasis on rare, threatened, or endangered species.
A side benefit of emphasis on ecosystems is that if we save those, we've saved
their species, too (often, anyway.  We still need to keep up with population
loss and try to reverse it).  DMc

--
David McNeely