Bill, I'm not an expert (guy from out of town with slides), but I believe that
most soils have a redundancy of bioturbaters including rodents and beetles,
unlike some marine bottoms.  In some northern forests in North America, the
European night crawler, which takes its food from the surface, has depleted the
litter layer in the extreme, exposing tree roots to harsh conditions and
actually rendering soil less rather than more permeable.  Some of the forest
floors that formerly were thickly covered with natural mulch are bare.  DMc

The source of these worm introductions is probably bait dumped when no longer
needed.

--
David McNeely