Hello -
Although not a text book per se, Richard Dawkins' book The Selfish Gene would provide an excellent description of evolution and ample discussion material. Its been several years since I read it, but I think it was written to be easily accessible to a lay audience. Alongthe same lines, E.O. Wilson's Diversity of Life would also merit consideration.

Michael Cooperman

jbowen wrote:
Hi All: In the fall I am going to be teaching an Evolutionary Biology course for
students in the social sciences and humanities. No prior coursework in the
natural sciences is required.  I am curious if the list might have
recommendations for a textbook that is appropriate for this audience. Thanks in advance for your input.