The history of "humanity" is a history of error. Early humans--VERY early humans, might have "seen" themselves as part of the ecosystem far more clearly than "modern" humans. I remember the story out of Africa shortly after the Polaroid(R) camera came onto the market; a "westerner" took a photo of an African (Masai, I believe) man, and when shown "his" picture, the man could not associate the image with himself.

The earliest known examples of "imagery" are believed to be at least 50,000 years old, (rock art from Australia). The earliest images most likely were abstract, but images of things we recognize is probably in the realm of at least 30,000 years old (e.g. cave art in Southern Europe). The older "realistic" images do not depict human forms (except perhaps those of hands), but are restricted to those of other animals. Even after human figures appear, they are not rendered with the care that other animals are. This invites speculation that anthropocentrism, hubris, and egocentrism probably were later developments, possibly following domestication of plants and animals probably sometime around 10,000 BCE, possibly accompanied by increased emphasis upon the depiction of human forms with greater and greater levels of skill. This requires a much, much better art historian than I, and I would welcome a more specific and accurate examination of these general conclusions, especially if I have made any grievous errors in my general claims.

But the point I wish to make is that, while early humans might have interpreted things like lightning and thunder as acts of some god or another, it is equally possible that they simply accepted Nature as a continuum that included themselves, with "gods" coming into their mythology later, perhaps first expressed in "animism," (early art depicts human-animal combinations (shamans?) which can still be seen in a few cultures or societies (closer to Nature?) today, later taking human form (super-chiefs and father-figures, though some of the earliest appearances of human forms in art depicted female figures and genitalia), as "civilization" began to appear with the advent of agriculture, urbanization, and the development of monotheistic religion that tended to equate God with a father-figure, a protector and defender from the slings and arrows of Nature and human "nature." Narcissism arose concurrently, and persists to this very day.

As one explores backwards in time, one is forced into more and more speculation and less and less into certainty. It is the quest for certainty that gave rise to monotheistic religions centered upon saviors and saints and priestly hierarchies-and, dare I say, to science itself? Does it not at least equally follow that the myths of pre-civilization were more, not less accepting of Nature's "grace" than those which developed later, in the last five or ten thousand years to the present?

I beg your forgiveness for this extended comment, well beyond 140 characters.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Silvert" <cien...@silvert.org>