I, too, appreciate Jane's contribution to this conversation.  We can only
speculate on the origins of religion, since religion originated long before
written language, or even cave art (if neanderthal and modern human religion
have a common origin; though I will agree with William Silvert that religion
probably didn't come about because any gods revealed their existence to our
ancestors).

However, science can say something about what goes on in the brain when
people have religious experiences, and perhaps it can say something about
why some people seem to need religion while others couldn't be religious if
they wanted to.  It can tell us how similar the experience of meditation is
to the experience of prayer, or getting mentally absorbed in an anthill, or
drawing, or playing an instrument, or driving a car, and so on.  Based on a
biological understanding of religious experience, plus the archeological
evidence, we can form models of how religion originated and evolved in
modern humans, and how it is relevant to modern life.

I do think the "naturalist's trance" is basically the same as a religious
experience.  I don't know of any hard evidence bearing on that, but the
experience is similar to those I've had from meditation, intense prayer,
playing music, painting pictures, and running much further than a mile or
so.  Such experiences say nothing at all about whether there is such a thing
as divinity, but I think they have a lot to do with the origins of
humanity's belief in divinity.

Jim Crants