Monsanto's claims, as quoted by Cherubini, seem like "Green Revolution" all over again to me. In the corn example, it would seem that a reduction in "ear" production would be a disadvantage. Shifts in emphasis from leaves and stems to seed or fruit production might be more related to culture than genetics, but that has historically played a role in crop plant production. I have no guidelines; I am interested in Monsanto's. However, for the moment I'll settle for a ratio of total biomass to water, and whether or not the doubling claim is pure fantasy or if there is solid evidence or theoretical foundation behind it.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "malcolm McCallum" <malcolm.mccal...@herpconbio.org>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Physiology Productivity Promises and BS Re: [ECOLOG-L] worlds authorities in sustainable ag/meat/ag ecology

I am not sure if this fits your guidelines, but please let me know!
Plant breeding of corn species that did not devote energy to tassel
production and instead shiftking those resources to corn might be close.
Only problem was that the resistance to Southern Corn Blight was linked in
some way to producting tassels and ears!  So, the disease ravaged the US
corn crop when the weather was right and the strains were abandoned.  At
least that is my recollection!

Malcolm