Wayne Tyson wrote:

> Please supply evidence that genetic engineering or any other method can
> double the productivity of any species without increasing the amount of
> water and nutrients, I'll settle for a ratio of total biomass or grain yield
> ratio to water

Wayne, lets look at the track record of the biotech and industrialized
ag industry in the USA. In 2009 the The Keystone Alliance for Sustainable
Agriculture published a report http://tinyurl.com/26su7y2 that looked
at yields vs. land use, irrigation water use, energy use, soil loss, and
climate impact for the Corn, Cotton, Soybeans and Wheat grown in the
USA during the 20 year period from 1987-2007

With regard to Yield Per Irrigated Acre vs. Irrigation Water Applied
Per Acre during the period 1987-2007 the authors found:

1) Corn Yields Per Irrigated Acre increased about 24% while
Irrigation Water Applied Per Acre decreased about 11%
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae78/18R-C/corn.jpg

2) Cotton Yields Per Irrigated Acre increased about 69% while
Irrigation Water Applied Per Acre decreased about 30%
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae78/18R-C/cotton.jpg

3) Soybean Yields Per Irrigated Acre increased about 23% while
Irrigation Water Applied Per Acre decreased about 4%
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae78/18R-C/soybean.jpg

4) Wheat Yields Per Irrigated Acre increased about 11% while
Irrigation Water Applied Per Acre increased about 10%
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae78/18R-C/wheat.jpg

Thus with the exception of wheat, these data show the biotech
and industrialized ag industry has an excellent track record of
substantially increasing the yields of irrigated crops while at the
same time substantially decreasing water usage.  The failure
in wheat could be due to the fact that industry has not come
out with much biotech wheat to date.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.