Regarding your response to my post, it's clear that we're talking about
different things when we talk about "culture."  I've been writing with
Merriam-Webster's fifth definition for culture in mind:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/culture.  By this definition,
pretty much any collection of humans with a group identity will have a
culture.  It's the definition people use when they talk about "corporate
culture," "Trekkie culture," "pop culture," or "ancient Inca culture," and
it's the one I assumed you were using when you said culture was a
sociopathological phenomenon.

By "society," I was thinking of Merriam-Webster's third definition:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/society.  If you look at that
definition, bearing in mind the definition of "culture" that I was thinking
of, I hope you can see how it sounds absurd to call culture
"sociopathological."  To put it briefly, a society is a collection of people
with a group identity, and any such collection will inevitably have a
culture, so what could it mean to say the culture is bad for society?

I do agree that culture has long progressed in the direction of isolating us
from the rest of nature, so that an increasing number of humans  can
potentially get through life just fine imagining nature to be irrelevant to
their interests.  However, when you say that this progression toward
isolation means culture is "by definition, pathological," you are
essentially saying that culture must necessarily progress in that direction
(if culture could reverse its pathological direction of progress, you
couldn't say it was pathological by definition).  But why can culture only
advance toward greater isolation from nature?

I don't agree that the alternative to calling culture a sociopathological
phenomenon requires strong support.  The alternative is simply that culture
is not a sociopathological phenomenon; its effect on society is either good
or neutral.  This is a null hypothesis, and like any null hypothesis, it's a
weak statement, and the only support it needs is the failure to confirm the
alternative (in this case, your hypothesis).  Further, I think the vast
majority of us assume that culture is not bad for society, and any time you
want to challenge a widely-held belief, the burden falls on you to make some
sort of case for your position.  If you can do so, that's when people might
feel compelled to defend the status quo.  Finally, I think I actually
offered some pretty strong support to the null hypothesis/status quo
position.  I pointed out that you can't have a society without a culture,
which makes it impossible for culture to be pathological to society.
 Certain attitudes or practices of a given culture may be harmful, but some
kind of culture simply will be present wherever there is a society.

I've just now received your response to Hedges.  I think the definitions of
culture and society that I've linked to above are distinct enough; the group
of people is the soiciety, and their common attitudes, beliefs, and
practices are their culture.  If you have provided your definitions of
culture and society, I've missed them.  At any rate, I've already gone on
much longer than I intended, so I will leave it to Jaimie Hedges (or someone
else) to respond further.

Jim Crants