Jim and Ecolog:

Yes, I grant that Crants' definition and mine are different. It's not that I
disagree that much with Webster's definition as far as it goes; it's only that
it is too vague and does not go to a fundamental difference in the human
phenomenon; both words are defined the same way, "a society is a collection of
people with a group identity," and a culture is "pretty much any collection of
humans with a group identity" by Crants' own (and Webster's) statement. Crants
has not addressed the specifics of my previous attempts to explain my suggested
definitions for the two terms, giving them clear distinctions based in large
part on their etymology, but more importantly upon the need for clear
terminology that can be useful in describing crucial differences in actual
phenomena, as previously described. While I welcome ANY criticism, I hope for
the kind that addresses the specifics of my argument. Dictionaries reflect
cultural usage, and I challenge conventional usage because it is confusing. It
is not a "scientific" hypothesis, but it is a logical challenge to the status
quo. This is always difficult, and it does challenge cultural norms; the
question is, does it do so for good reasons? Appeals to authority are not, in
of themselves, “scientific,” however welcome and relevant they may be. I cite
the following authority (hilarious, eh?):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority In any reasonable discourse,
the burden falls equally upon the participants making assertions.

Either the two phenomena described (pre-civilized human societies with a
smaller cultural component or civilized--post "domestication" societies that
morphed into cultures that are distinguished by the characteristics I have
already cited) are distinctly different in significant degree, or there is no
difference.  "Corporate culture," "Trekkie culture," "pop culture," or "ancient
Inca culture," can be termed true cultures, and all have a social component,
but a relatively minor one, and all represent modes of behavior that are good
examples of short-term success that sacrifices an enduring, resilient, society.
In that sense, they are pathological because they undermine the welfare of the
species more than they ensure it. Certainly it can be argued that they all
contain components of behavior that might be considered "good," but the point
is, "in what direction, in terms of the biological welfare of the species, do
they influence that species' biological success?" The answer, of course, is
mixed, and to prove it, we would have to examine all of the relevant
particulars of each. But we can, temporarily, look at the fragmentary evidence
and come to provisional conclusions concerning whether or not one or its
approximate opposite is rather more true than untrue or more untrue than true.
That's only a step, of course, and one subject to the assembly of data that
support or refute on hypothesis or the other--or, discover an entirely new one
to test.

I do believe that any challenge to the status quo should have a strong
theoretical foundation, but so must the status quo. If Crants really disagrees,
I don't know what I can say to persuade him otherwise. I ask only that he
explain why it does not. Just because a conception is firmly entrenched in the
culture does not, in itself, validate it. The entrenched culture at one point
in history, demanded that all agree that the earth was the center of the solar
system and the universe. A lot has been learned since Copernicus, and each
succeeding theory remains open to challenge. Of course, many challenges fail,
and that is as it should be--if they fail because the challenger was wrong and
not because he or she was burned at the stake.

Crants “pointed out that you can't have a society without a culture, which
makes it impossible for culture to be pathological to society.” I assert that
you can’t have a culture without society. I have already stated the basis for
this claim, and I will be happy to address refutations that cite the claims and
offer alternatives, with the same level of support demanded of the challenging
claim. I am unable to reasonably respond to general statements unconnected to
my statements.

I do agree with Crants that “Certain attitudes or practices of a given culture
may be harmful, but some kind of culture simply will be present wherever there
is a society.” In group behaviors that stray too far from the mode that is
successful, such as hoarding, group pressure tends to keep behaviors that tend
to threaten group survival or welfare from getting out of hand. One might say
that “derivatives” are “good” and “bad,” and it remains to be seen how demands
for social responsibility and personal accumulation of wealth sort this out in
our current culture. Swindlers are not tarred and feathered anymore, but some
go to jail—if for no other reason than political window-dressing. I offer this
only as one illustration among an infinite number, not in direct support of the
assertion.

I do not entirely disagree with Crants’ definition “. . . the group of people
is the [society] and their common attitudes, beliefs, and practices are their
culture” except that I don’t think his definition of society goes far enough.
Social animals are cooperative animals (wolves, chimps, humans). Cultural
components within the social structure are not predominant in the sense that
they are in civilized human cultures. There are bosses, to be sure, and in that
sense they are hierarchical and even coercive—but those components a spit in
the ocean compared to the institutionalized, corporatized, self-destructive
culture that has compounded itself so “successfully” that it has placed the
species (not to mention others) in such a state of luxury consumption that a
proportional or even a disproportional bust or significant degradation in the
quality of life is largely a matter of where the curve actually ends up—unless
the intelligence that made culture possible can manage to shift the balance
from exploitation to a kind of frugal luxury that goes beyond the sales
possibilities of “sustainability.”

Thanks to all who have challenged my assertions; they have helped me to clarify
them in my own mind if not those of others. I continue to welcome further
criticisms.

WT