From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of Sarah Frias-Torres
[sfrias_tor...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:00 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] no problem RE: [ECOLOG-L] Perseid meteor shower and more....

MikeThere is no need for apology, as my post was trying to correct a pervasive
error and misreporting that keeps showing up on CNN and many other news
broadcasts. I also provided a bit of history on this subject for all those at
the list server who might be interested in the recent development of
bull-fighting prohibition in Catalunya.
The Nazi reference to Franco's regime was two-fold. First, it reflected how
bull-fighting was forced upon the Catalan culture. We are talking about a time,
specially the first years after the end of the civil war, in which if you spoke
Catalan (our language) in the streets of Barcelona, you were shot to death on
the spot by police or the military. Imagine if speaking your native language
resulted in an immediate death sentence.
Second, the nazi reference to the regime was correct. The basic connection
between Franco and Hitler is out there in the history books for those who want
to read it. What readers of this forum might not be aware of is that due to the
recent "ley de memoria historica" (law of historic memory) we are now
uncovering the killing fields Franco and his nazi friends had over many parts
of Spain, as well as extermination camps that were called "re-training
centers". Obviously in this kind of oppression, anything labelled "national"
had to be complied with (including bull-fighting).This was also a time when the
democratically elected president of Catalunya, Lluis Companys, was executed
after a mock jury decided he was guilty (of being a president elect!).There is
much history that must be rewritten, but as they say, history is written by the
ones that win the wars, while the victims of injustice rarely have a voice.
Why all this information has any relevance at all in the Ecolog forum? Animal
cruelty has many shades of gray. Sometimes it is an imposition, by accident of
history, "tradition", or simple inertia. In the Catalan case, the citizen
movement has ended the injustice. Unfortunately, we have to wait until January
2012 for the law to be enacted... such is the nature of the law. There are
still many other examples of animal cruelty to deal with, and it will take a
great deal of effort to eradicate them.
There are people in Spain at large, and in Latin America, who enjoy
bull-fighting very much. So unfortunately, bull-fighting will continue for many
years to come. But at least, not in Catalunya. By the way, the fact that some
people enjoy watching an animal being tortured, in panic and agony for the best
part of an hour, and slowly killed through sequential stabbing (which is what
the "banderillas" and other implements accomplish)... experiencing joy and
pleasure from such a sight reveals the sadistic personality of the viewer. In
fact, enjoying animal abuse and cruelty (whether by inflicting it or watching
it unfold) is a basic characteristic of a sadistic personality disorder.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
http://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres