To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Catalunya

BillI agree with you.
Back in the day, I was fortunate to have Professor Margalef as one of my teachers. He was already Emeritus professor but my class enjoyed his very special lectures, sporadic and full of brain gymnastics. Professor Margalef made an extraordinary effort to translate many of his textbooks and popular science books to Catalan, quite a challenge considering how prolific he was. Regarding the banderillas in bull-fighting, as you indicate, one of the objectives is to severe muscles to minimize the ability of the bull to swim the horns. But it also has the objective of debilitating the bull and making the use of the sword easier. The "toro bravo", the special race of bulls used in bull fighting, has very strong musculature in the frontal part of its body. The muscular mass has strong attachments in the upper part, making the characteristic "hump". This profile can also be observed in the American Bison for example. Such muscle groups allow for explosive speed and impact. If untouched, the toro will be too strong for the torero to deal with. So it goes through several rounds of "taking away his force". Because in fact, the torero, is not a brave as they want you to believe, you see. Banderillas are just one of force-taking implements. There is also a "picador", a guy on a horse, with a very long spear who keeps spearing the toro for long periods. The combined effect of all this stabbing is to cut and macerate the musculature, so finally, when the torero dressed in his very shiny outfit comes around for the final moment (apparently the one that brings more "pleasure" to the viewers), he can insert a sword that goes through the heart of the toro. Nothing like a good sword to end the show. Finally, you are also correct in highlighting there are many examples and "traditions" of animal abuse and torture in Spain. There is a long list of them unfortunately. But there is also a dedicated group of people that slowly but surely work very hard to educate both the population and the politicians, and peacefully, and through the use of the democratic process, catalyze new laws that prohibit animal cruelty. There is still much work to do.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
http://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres