I was taken aback to see this, but then I realised that we really do need to provide references for even the most obvious statements. I am sure that if Mark included a statement like "photosynthesis is higher during the day than at night" some reviewer would ask for a reference.

My favourite example of this was a paper in which I suggested that catch data from fishermen might not be totally reliable, to which the reviewer archly commented that I seemed to be suggesting that fishermen sometimes lie, what evidence did I have to support this. Fortunately an anthropologist had published a study on the falsification of catch data by fishermen, so my paper made it into print.

Bill Silvert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Wilson" <slugecol...@gmail.com>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: sexta-feira, 13 de Agosto de 2010 17:35
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Aspect

Hi folks,
I am looking for a reference which states
(1) that in the northern hemisphere the north side of boulders are
less exposed to the sun than the south side
and
(2) that the east side of boulders are exposed to the sun only in the
morning when temperatures tend to be cooler while west sides are
exposed during the afternoon when temperatures tend to be higher and
as a result the north and east side of boulders are likely to stay
cooler and damper longer.
Any suggestions?
Mark