Mark,

Here is a reference based on empirical data for north-south-facing slope differences:

Tajchman, S.J., M.M. Harris, and E.C. Townsend. 1988. Variability of the radiative index of dryness in an Appalachian watershed. Agric. For. Meteorol. 42:199-207. The study aimed to explain why north-facing slopes are more mesic than south-facing slopes, but I assume they measured exposure differences. Not sure if they compared radiative indices of dryness of east- and west-facing slopes.

Robert Leo Smith cites this study and gives a description of the effect in his fifth edition textbook, Ecology and Field Biology - Chapter 4-Climate:Microclimate/North Facing and South Facing Slopes. Doesn't say anything about east-west-facing slope differences.

Hope this helps.

Steve Brewer