Hi Emma,

I don't know really.  I always use the built-in editor that comes with R.app
which I've found useful enough (no split screen but some highlighting plus
piping selected code with apple+enter).

But as it turns out there's a whole discussion about text editors on the
r-sig-eco email list (I think it starts out about PC, but there's some stuff
about linux and mac, many linux text editors should work with mac as well i
think).  Here's the url:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-ecology/2008-April/000040.html

a great resource for R-related questions.

Best of luck,
Andy