A shortcoming in many ecological publications of the past few decades is that they tend not to cite relevant literature if it's not in English. This trend probably has roots in the move a few decades ago to abolish the previous tradition of requiring that Ph.D. students demonstrate competence in a foreign language as part of their training. For example, as a graduate student at the University of North Carolina in the early 1970s I had to show that I could read and then answer questions about a French paper about bumble bees a few hours after it was given to me to read (we could choose the language and general area for our test paper). As a postdoc I discovered that there were several important papers about temperate region ant-plant mutualisms that were not being cited in the growing literature about coevolution, probably because they were in German and from the previous century. Although it's certainly easier to gain access to scientific literature now, thanks to the Internet, the problem of a language barrier may remain.

I recently rediscovered a translation I made as a graduate student of a paper in German, and realized that it might facilitate access to this paper by other researchers in the future if I were to post the translation on a public site. Thus there is now available a translation of this paper (with help from Dr. Nick Waser) about the courtship display of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds in Mexico:

Wagner, H. O. 1948. Die Balz des Kolibris Selasphorus platycercus. Zoologische Jahrbücher.
Abteilung für Systematik, Ökologie, und Geographie der Tiere 77:267-278.

In order to make the translation (and the original paper, because it's not easy to find) accessible, I first obtained permission from the publisher, and then got permission to post them in the Digital Repository at the University of Maryland, a site hosted by the University's Library. So they are now accessible at http://drum.lib.umd.edu/handle/1903/10113. and can be found through a Web search for the German title.

I suspect there are other ecologists who have translated papers from other languages to English, who might be willing to share their translations as a way of facilitating access to them in the future. I encourage you to do so. This might even be a good example of a Broader Impact to cite on your next NSF proposal!

David Inouye
Dept. of Biology
University of Maryland