Hello,

I have thousands of leaf discs from Helianthus annuus (see image at this
link: http://web.me.com/scott_c1/Scott_Chamberlain/Other.html). I need to
count the glandular trichomes (both the ones with and without glands on the
end, i.e., the long hairs, and the white blobs) on the leaf discs. Ideally
this would be an automated process using e.g., ImageJ. However, ImageJ is
having a hard time discerning the trichomes from the rest of the leaf
material. Here is my question:

Does anyone know how to stain just glandular trichomes, and not the
remaining leaf material? With this, I could (more) easily count glandular
trichomes in ImageJ.

Sincerely,

Scott Chamberlain
Rice University, EEB Dept.