If these are glandular trichomes, what are they secreting?
You could have a fluorescent antibody dye made to stain that
specific product.

Alternatively, put a grid reticle in your eyepiece to make it easier to do.
Also, if you just don't have time to sit and count, maybe you could get an
undergraduate who has some interest in botany to sit and count the things
for you.
Just test the student's accuracy by having them count reticles on 3-4
pictures for which
you have already counted the the trichomes.  If they are around 99% correct,
you can
let them do the counting.  Then put them on as a coauthor and you might just
stimulate
one to become a scientist.  IF not, at least you will get your trichomes
counted!!! :)

I did this kind of thing with frog blood cells as a phd student.  In the
end, the student decided
he wanted to be a pharmacist instead.  But at least he knew he didn't want
to do research.
This is every bit as important as finding who wants to do it! :)

Malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Managing Editor,

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" - Allan
Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not