  From: Juan P Alvez
  To: Wayne Tyson
  Cc: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Conservation or just gardening?

  Ecologers,

  Building on Prof. W. Tyson's comment...
  I completely agree. Restoring a degraded ecosystem to its pristine pure stage
is almost impossible, not to mention the costs involved in the mitigation
process.
  There were (and still are) successful attempts of regenerating barren and
ultra degraded places in Brazil (i.e. mine sites) by Prof. Ademir Reis and
others. Prof. Reis also committed several mistakes in his attempts until he
figured it out the best ways to achieve some sort of succession and vegetation.

  From my humble point of view, important long-term goal and considerations to
have in mind are:

    1.. the reestablishment of ecosystem structure (not an easy task!);
    2.. the reestablishment of ecosystem functions and processes (consider
yourself lucky when this is accomplished);
    3.. Finally, the reestablishment of the flow of ecosystem services.
  These events take time and resources but are worth doing.

  Just my 2 cts!
  Juan P. Alvez