From: Wayne Tyson [mailto:landr...@cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 January, 2011 17:05
To: Warren W. Aney; ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Conservation or just gardening?

Well, yes. But I would suggest even more detail, and hope Aney will expand
his outline. Also, when habitats have been degraded or essentially
destroyed, as in, say, volcanic eruptions or surface mining, the issue of
feasible future state is a question to be squarely addressed, as well as the
timing and sequence of events, both artificial and natural that lead to that
state, including markers that confirm whether or not progress toward them is
occurring. In the "gardening" approach, for example, propagules may be
introduced and monitored and desired states that are arbitrarily determined
(e.g. a certain amount of "coverage" at a certain date) required that may or
may not be feasible that could undermine, rather than advance, the three
"Aney descriptors." In the ecosystem restoration approach, trend lines,
including survivorship curves and measures of diversity are less forgiving
and more to the point that the urgent cosmetics common to desire-based
"standards," which may bear little resemblance to ecosystem processes,
function, and successional structure.

I hope Aney will contribute further on just how adaptive management would be
applied.

WT